Saturday, May 23, 2009

Relay for Life 2009


Last weekend was the UCSB annual American Cancer Societies Relay for Life. This year I captained our department's team "Gauchos for Life". Last year was my first year being involved with Relay for Life and had a blast. The night before we had a barbeque at the beach and designed t-shirts for each other. Of course last year was different because it was just the Athletic Trainer's that participated and I got along really well with everyone who was involved. Majority of that group has moved on to other things now, and miss them dearly!

So this year we decided to invite the entire department and the student athletes to join in the fun. Unfortunately, a lot people in the department decided not to walk with us, but were kind enough to give us a donation. Our team goal was to raise $3,000.00. In the end I believe that we were extremely close to meeting our fundraising goal! So, thank you to all who donated!

This year was also the first year that I had a personal reason to get involved. My Grandfather last fall was diagnosed with prostate cancer and has been going through treatment. He seems to be tolerating everything well. He was not only able to travel to Normal, IL to watch the Gauchos play a couple games, but he's still playing basketball with his buddies a couple days a week.

Our team started out strong with good participation till about eleven o'clock that night and then people started dropping off and heading home to sleep. One of our students had signed up to walk from midnight till three in the morning, so I decided that I would walk with him. I didn't want him to be out there alone. While Kyle and I were walking around the track playing catchphrase a couple of my tennis players showed up to walk a mile with us. They were hilarious! When they got to the track they were yelling "Greg" and then realized that they should clarify and started yelling "Greg the trainer" trying to find me. Once three o'clock rolled around Kyle headed off and I sat down to rest for a bit. My hip flexors were killing me! While I sat I began debating whether or not to stay up all night.

As I was sitting there I was getting close to drifting off to sleep when our new Director of Sports Performance showed up to help get the team through the early morning hours. I took a full hour break and then went back out on the track to walk with Jeremy till seven o'clock when Leah got there to take over for me. It was a long night, but it was good getting to know Jeremy.

Overall, I have no idea how many miles or laps I walked. All I know is that I walked for nine hours overall and was awake for close to thirty hours. I had a good time conversing on the track with everyone and hanging out at the campsite. I also enjoyed the ice bath I made myself take afterwards. The ice bath really isn't that bad. I don't know why so many of my athletes seem to have a problem with it?

Here's looking forward to next years Relay for Life!

2 comments:

Allison said...

I agree about the ice bath. I enjoy them quite a bit after my marathons. I know that they will do a lot of good once you get past the first few minutes of pain.

Greg said...

I definitely felt much better later that evening and the next day!