Monday, May 11, 2009

A nice little Saturday

I was already evacuated and staying with David so I figured I could repay his generosity by taking him out to breakfast Saturday morning. He was nice enough to agree, so we had a delicious breakfast with a pleasant talk about a little of everything. Then we made our way out to Goleta to catch the first showing of the new Star Trek movie.

Growing up as a kid my parents were a fan of the Star Trek series. I would not call them Trekies by any stretch of the imagination, but they did enjoy them some Science fiction. With that being said we did own every Star Trek movie and watch them numerous times. At the time I was heavily into becoming a Marine Biologist so Star Trek IV was my favorite since they had to go back in time to get a couple whales to save the world.

We watched Star Trek: The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and Voyager on television, so yes I am familiar with the franchise. In any case "Star Trek" was my first summer blockbuster movie of the season to see and I must say that it did deliver. I felt JJ Abrams did a great job from beginning to end on this; after "Cloverfield" I was a bit worried! I felt the cast did a good job of staying true to their predecessors but also striking out on their own. I did not see "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" last weekend so I cannot speak of its merits, but "Star Trek" was definitely a good start to the summer movie season. I look forward to what Hollywood has to show us this summer!

No comments: