Sunday, May 10, 2009

Arts and Lectures Film Series: "Waltz with Bashir"

Last Tuesday I went with my friend David to go see the film "Waltz with Bashir" that was playing as part of Arts and Lectures film series.

"The film begins with Boaz, an old friend of Folman (Writer/Driector), telling him about a recurring nightmare in which he is chased by twenty-six rabid dogs, a dream that relates directly to Boaz's army service during Israel's invasion of Lebanon in 1982, more than twenty years earlier. The story spurs Folman to instigate an investigation into his own nightmarish past to discover the truth about himself."

The film was definitely dark, but what do you expect of film centered around this subject matter. The film was extremely well done and very interesting. Since I was born in 1982 I don't have any memories of this happening and it was never included in my history courses throughout school, so I had no clue that Israel had invaded Lebanon. The way the movie was done helped desensitize the audience to the memories of war that the characters were reliving till the end when it switched to real life footage giving the audience the true reality of what had happened.

I felt the film was extremely well done and definitely worth seeing.

No comments: