Thursday, May 28, 2009

AIDS/Lifecycle

The time has arrived for me to head up north and begin my volunteer work for the AIDS/Lifecycle. I leave tomorrow morning for San Francisco for a little orientation on Saturday and then the ride begins on Sunday traveling down the coast to Los Angeles over seven days. This will be my first time doing anything like this, so it should be quite the experience.

I'm taking the train from Santa Barbara up to San Francisco tomorrow and by train I mean a bus ride from Santa Barbara to Bakersfield, a train from Bakersfield to Emeryville, and then finally a bus from Emeryville into San Francisco. Once in the city I'll meet up with David's brother Jason and crash on his couch for the night. Then on Saturday down to the Cow Palace for orientation, make it to the hotel, rest up, and then be ready to go early Sunday morning.

Here's a quick overview of the riders route. The first day takes the riders from San Francisco to Santa Cruz. Day two goes from Santa Cruz to King CIty. Day three begins in King City and ends in Paso Robles. On day four we move down the 101 to Santa Maria. From Santa Maria the cyclist ride into Lompoc on day five. Day six takes the riders through Santa Barbara and down to Ventura. Day seven follows the Pacific Coast Highway down into Los Angeles where the ride ends at the Los Angeles VA near Westwood.

Once closing ceremonies are over I have to find a way from the VA to LAX so I can catch the Santa Barbara Airbus back home. I've been joking around that I should carry a video camera and turn this adventure to and from Santa Barbara into an audition tape for The Amazing Race.

While I'm on the ride I will not have my cell phone or a way to check email. So I will get back in touch with all of you after the ride.

No comments: