Saturday, May 23, 2009

A First Time to Remember


This past Thursday I passed a major milestone at the ripe old age of twenty-seven. Believe it or not, I went to my first ever concert. It's true! I have never been to a concert till Christina, Justin, and I decided to check out the Nine Inch Nails and Jane's Addiction show at the Santa Barbara Bowl. I enjoy Nine Inch Nail's music, so they were the main reason I went and I really only knew a couple of songs by Jane's Addiction. Christina was the exact opposite, she was more familiar with Jane's Addiction, and Justin he was all about both bands.

The concert began at 5:30 with the opening act Street Sweeper followed by Nine Inch Nails at 6:30 and Jane's Addiction closing out the show at 8:30. We missed Street Sweeper because we opted for a little pre concert meal at Taco Bell. When we got to our seats Nine Inch Nails was on the stage and performing. The show was awesome. It was a little weird because they had strobe lights going off and an elaborate light show going on behind the band, but it was still light outside, so the full effect was a little lost. Trent Reznor rocked it though!

I really enjoyed Nine Inch Nails' set. I also enjoyed Jane's Addiction although I had a hard time hearing Perry Farrell during a good majority of the songs. The Santa Barbara Bowl is also a beautiful outdoor venue. In fact while Nine Inch Nails was playing I have to admit that I kept thinking how sublime it would be to listen to an orchestra on a starlit summer evening. The people watching was pretty spectacular as well! I had a really good first concert experience and it only took me twenty-seven years and a couple friends to get me there!

No comments: