Sunday, May 25, 2008

Wii Fit

I went with David on the hunt for a Wii Fit game and balance board on Saturday.

We finally found it at Software etc. Wii Fit is a game/workout program for the Nintendo Wii game consul. The program begins by calculating your Body Mass Index (BMI) and analyzing your balance. It then gives you what it has calculated as your Wii Fit age.

we eagerly got it set-up and gave it a good trial run. My BMI was a 29 which puts me in the "Overweight" category. Granted BMI is not a great measuring stick of healthiness I do agree I need to loss some poundage. This program is not afraid to hurt your feelings by not holding any punches in telling you how it is. I must admit though that things really hit home when all of a sudden my Mii character became pudgy right after I got my BMI results. It was a little disheartening.

I believe that seeing my Mii character reflect what I look like in real life was very powerful. Often times, people feel free to become and portray themselves differently in video games and online. These false realities are great for the fact that we can essentially become whatever we want, we don't have to repress aspects of ourselves. It is for that reason that I think the Wii Fit re-calibrating of each persons Mii character to reflect their BMI analysis is a way to bring reality into that false reality.

Well I've told you my BMI was way higher than it should have been, but I have not yet revealed my Wii Fit age. My Wii Fit age was that of a 46 year old! That's right 46! How depressing is that? I just turned 26 and my body is apparently like that of someone 20 years older than me.

Okay, enough of the sad stuff! This game encompasses yoga, strength training, aerobic exercise, and balance exercises. The game initially gives you so many exercises, poses, and games. As, you work out more you unlock more exercises, poses, and games. I enjoyed the balance games the most. The one balance game that I loved more than the rest was the Ski Jump! I've always been fascinated with this sport ever since I first saw it during the Winter Olympics.

Once again the Nintendo people have delivered another way to workout. This game is the perfect way to have fun and exercise. I loved it. Now I just need to get myself one!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Wii sounds like its got some attitude. I am horrified. I am afraid that if I put myself on that it would tell me I have one foot already in the grave. 46!?! I am staying so far away from wii.

Greg said...

I know. I figured it would have been bad, but 46? I was shocked and appalled! Looks like I got my work cut out for me.

The Wii is super fun Heather. Especially, Wii sports! I can't get enough!