Sunday, May 4, 2008

Relay for Life

Relay for Life was a great experience! The relay started at noon on Saturday with the opening ceremonies, the survivors lap, and then the team lap. We set up our tent in our area on the track infield. We cheered on our teammates, played volleyball, soccer, and UNO to entertain ourselves throughout the day and into the night.

I walked for about an hour in the late afternoon going about 2 miles. I was back on the track from 8pm-10:30pm going for about 4 miles. When I got done with my walking time we began a rousing game of Apples to Apples. For those who don't know, Apples to Apples is just about the most awesome game ever. After the Apples to Apples festivities ended I came home and went to bed.

I got up early the next morning and headed to the track to root my teammates on to the finish. I walked again from 10am-12pm. I picked up the pace this segment and walked/jogged for about 5 miles. Afterwards, I went in to the Athletic Training Room and stuck both feet into an ice bath to soothe my UNO injury from the day before.

Yes, you heard me an UNO injury! I know how completely ridiculous right? Well here's the story. I sat down on the ground to play a round of UNO indian style. Apparently, in my UNO playing I put my peroneal tendon on too much of a stretch and inflammed the crap out of it. It does feel a lot better now.

I hate to disappoint everyone, but there will not be pictures of me wearing a coconut bra and grass skirt; it just didn't happen, but there will be some pictures of the weekend for each of you to feast your eyes on.

Now for the final numbers:
My goal was 200 dollars and I got 185 dollars in donations, so thank you to all of you who donated to me.
Our team goal was 1,500 dollars and our total donations ended up being 1,150 dollars.


Next year I'll make a deal with all of you. To whoever donates over ten dollars to my cause will be the first to be emailed a picture of me looking ridiculous. What do you say?

No comments: