Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Reading Corner

I have to admit that I've been slacking on my reading here lately and only reading when on the road with the basketball team.
I vow to be better! I finished "The Hiding Place" by Corrie ten Boom this past weekend while I was in Spokane, Washington. This book was a fairly easy read; this most likely was because I ended up getting the Large print edition in which anyone 10 feet behind me could have also read the words with ease.

"The Hiding Place" is a true story about the ten Boom family during the German occupation of Holland in World War Two. The family; particularly Corrie joined the Dutch Resistance and aided Jews into hiding and stealing ration cards to allow passage of Jews to homes in the country and attempt to save them from persecution. Things were going well for the ten Booms till one day their home got raided and each were imprisoned. Most of the family was later released, except for Corrie, her sister Betsie, and her Father who died a week after being incarcerated. Betsie later died after her and Corrie where transported to a concentration camp in Germany.

Overall the book was good and right up my alley. I truly enjoy reading books about true life events and thinking about if I was placed in the same position would I have the same courage to do what they did. I like to think that I would, but I don't think any of us truly know what path we would take until confronted with the situation.

Next on the list:

"The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gostei muito desse post e seu blog é muito interessante, vou passar por aqui sempre =) Depois dá uma passada lá no meu site, que é sobre o CresceNet, espero que goste. O endereço dele é http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . Um abraço.