Friday, June 8, 2007

Surreal

One of my soccer girls this morning said "It's hard to believe that my first year of college is almost over." This got me thinking about how things have been going since I left Oregon. It really is surreal to think back that just a year ago I was completing my Master's degree and looking for a job, that nobody seemed to want to give me. Somehow I managed to land in Central California and the University of California, Santa Barbara. It's been a good year, a weird year, and at times frustrating. Like my soccer player and her first year of college, I'm thinking the same thing about my first year of having a job, using my education, and doing what I enjoy. My teams were great to work with and ended their season with respectable conference finishes. I'm hoping that they do better next year. I mean, since a certain 4 grad students at UO got jipped out of a bowl game, is an NCAA tournament appearance too much to ask?
I've been fortunate enough to have met some great people while I have been down here, one of whom is very special to me and brightens my days just by the sound of their voice. I'm going to be moving into a place of my own this weekend, so yes I will be deflating the air-mattress once again. Maybe I'll get a bed next year.

It's been a pretty good year.

Here's hoping everyone else's years have been good too!

4 comments:

Heather said...

Don't lie to us! You will NEVER own a real bed. And even if you tell us you got one, I will never believe it, until I see it in your residence with my very own eyes. And even then, I would still have serious doubts that you mave have paid someone to bring a bed in just to fool us.

Anonymous said...

Don't be bitter you guys couldn't keep your team healthy enough to continue a streak that 44 other Grad students worked DAMN hard to keep alive!!!!

Heather said...

HATE, HATE, HATE

Greg said...

Well played Tyler, well played indeed!