Monday, April 27, 2009

On Lockdown

I'm officially up a creek. Well, at least for the next seven days I am. Apparently, someone has made a duplicate copy of my debit card somewhere here in Santa Barbara, so my checking account is on lockdown! I got a phone call from my bank yesterday afternoon telling me that there was suspicious activity on my card that they needed me to verify. I of course do screen my phone calls, so if you call me from a strange number be prepared to leave a voicemail because I am not going to answer. A little worried that this was just a scam to try to completely steal my identity I decided to investigate the matter myself.

After conducting my investigation I noticed that yes there were two charges to my account that were not mine. Still unsure of the phone call I received I decided to call my banks twenty-four hour help line just to make sure I was talking to the right people. After eighteen minutes on hold and a failed connection I got transfered to the right department and got everything taken care of. Unfortunately, my card has been deactivated and all activity on my account has been halted. This leaves me with three dollars in my wallet and no way to access my money till my new card arrives.

Luckily, I am not responsible for the two charges that were done. I did however ask how something like this happens and they explained to me that one of the places that I used my card at someone must have come right behind me and stolen my card number and then made a copy. This seems completely insane to me that people could do that, but technology is not infallible. Looks like, I'm going to be paying for things in cash more often again.

Be careful out there people and swipe responsibly!

1 comment:

Heather said...

That's crazy, something you hear about, but I always think, naaaah, that couldn't happen to me. I would be completely hopeless without my debit card.