Monday, January 19, 2009

A token of appreciation

This fall one of my better waterpolo players got injured and ended up having to sit out the season because of it. We spent the entire fall term rehabbing and strengthening to get him back in the water and to waterpolo. He was very dedicated and did everything I asked of him. He was a good patient and he got better. He was back in the water and building back into full activity before he left to go home for break.
Last week he came in to give me a gift for helping him and doing my job. He walks up and asks me "Greg do you like alcoholics?" I didn't quite know what to say, so I just kind of looked at him with a confused expression. In my mind I was thinking uh oh is he admitting he's alcoholic. So, I asked him "do you mean do I like to drink?" He nodded yes and gave the international drinking gesture. I probably shouldn't have admitted it in the middle of the treatment area, but said "yeah on occasion." That's when he pulled out a black cardboard box and said thank you for helping him. He explained to me that this liquor is a specialty and considered the national liquor of his country.

It's nice to be appreciated.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

See Greg someone does appreciate your help. Nice picture of you and your gift.