Monday, January 19, 2009

Arts and Lectures Series


This term the Arts and Lecture series is quite thin of things that I really want to go see, but there are a few things I plan to check out. The first of which was last Thursday.
I went to go see a screening of the film "Secrecy". "A film about the vast invisible world of U.S. government secrecy, this documentary presents thoughtful interviews with articulate experts on all sides of the debate to determine the fine line between national security and the people's right know. Is government secrecy the key to victory in our struggle against terrorism, or our Achilles heel? By focusing on classified secrets, those potentially harmful to national security, Secrecy explores the tensions between our safety as a nation, and our ability to function as a democracy."

I thought the film was well done and provided a 360 degree perspective on the subject. I walked out of the film with mixed emotions. I agree that the public has a right to know and believe that it would make us more alert and connected to the government that we elect. At the same time though I can appreciate the counterpoint that certain information needs to be kept secret. The question is what constitutes the balance between openness and secrecy? Unfortunately, I don't have an answer to that one. What do you think about this issue? Has government secrecy overstepped its bounds? Do you care one way or the other? Let's discuss...

No comments: