Monday, January 19, 2009

Giving Back


I've decided that this year I am going to volunteer and work the AIDS Lifecycle.

The AIDS Lifecycle is put on by the San Francisco AIDS Foundation and the Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center. This is a fundraising event that requires riders to raise $3,000 just to participate. The event lasts seven days and begins in San Francisco on May 31st this year and ends in Los Angeles on June 6th. The course takes the riders on a 545 mile physical and emotional journey through some of California's most spectacular landscapes.

My former co-worker Tina and I talked last year about actually participating in the Lifecycle but ultimately decided it was too late to actually train and raise the money, so we postponed our plans. Our conversation initially began after I told her that a close friends brother was actually doing the ride. He had a great time, met some amazing people, and gained perspective on his life.
Ultimately I want to participate in the ride, but for this year I figured I'd volunteer see what the ride is like and go from there.

There are two reasons that I am interested in getting involved in this event. The first reason being that I have a close friend who found out they were HIV positive. The news was hard to hear and I didn't know what to say. It came as such a shock. I had never been confronted with something of that nature before, so I was at a loss. The only thing I felt like I could do was to be there for them and show them that I cared. Long story short they are doing very well. It is for them that I want to take part in the Lifecycle. It is the same reason that I wear a red ribbon lapel pin to every basketball game. The second reason is to meet new people and be a part of something bigger than just my everyday life.

As a volunteer I am not required to raise $3,000 dollars, but I want to raise some money for the cause. My goal is $1,500. I know with the state of the economy finding some spare change is hard to do, but every little bit helps and I would greatly appreciate any donation. Here's the link to my donation site: Greg's Donation page, and my friends brother's page in case you feel generous: Jason's Donation page

No comments: