Monday, December 8, 2008

Reading Corner Recap

Since my last reading corner update I have finished reading two books. The first book I just completed reading was "Touching the Void" by Joe Simpson and the second was "Strings Attached" by Nick Nolan.

"Touching the Void" is a real life account of a mountaineering survival story that takes place in the Peruvian Andes. Much like Jon Krakauer's "Into Thin Air" the book is about Joe Simpson and his friend Simon who decide to summit a 21,00 foot Peruvian Andes mountain when on the way down a series of unfortunate events puts the pair in the midst of apparent danger and ultimate peril. The story was well told and amazing. "Touching the Void" was an amazing and inspiring real life account of one man's struggle to survive and beat the odds. For those of you non-readers this was made into a movie of the same name.

"Strings Attached" is a work of fiction. I typically go with real life stories and events, but I decided to give this book a shot. The idea behind this book is a take on the tale of "Pinocchio". The premise is this, a teenager growing trying to become a "real man" and is being pulled in so many directions that it is as if the people in his life are controlling him like a puppet; hence the title "Strings Attached". I liked the theme of the book and I think it is something that we can all relate to. Although the idea was good the way the author wrote it sometimes missed its mark and just seemed more trashy romance/drama novel than a soul searching endeavor. Overall the book was just okay.

So, what's next? Well next on the list is "Schulz and Peanuts" by David Michaelis. This is a biography about Charles M. Schulz. I am really looking forward to this book because as a lot of you know I am a huge fan of Peanuts the comic, I liken myself to Linus; aka the voice of reason, and because there was some controversy surrounding it when it came out.

No comments: