Monday, March 24, 2008

Whale Watching: Santa Barbara Part 2

As many of you know, my first whale watching trip in Santa Barbara was a total wash. We didn't see any whales which entitled me to a "whale check." A "whale check" allows me to go on another whale watching trip during the same season for free. Well with my first full weekend off from Basketball I took them up on their offer and went again.
The weather was phenomenal; mostly sunny skies and warm. It was still a little chilly out on the water, but not bad. I was more than comfortable in my jeans and sweatshirt. The trip started out good as soon as we left the harbor we were on our way to catch up with two grey whales. We watched them from afar for about half an hour and then headed out farther into the channel for what turned out to be amazing.
On our way out into the channel our boat came across a sun fish laying at the surface. After circling the sun fish we were back out in pursuit of catching up with a group of Humpback whales that had been feeding in the channel since Monday. As we got closer to the Humpbacks I'm pretty sure I saw one off in the distance breach (jump out of the water). As we settled down in the area we followed two groups of two watching them surface for air and then diving down again showing us their tail flukes. I was on the ball that day and got some great pictures.
It was an amazing day of whale watching. My friend David and I agreed the Grey Whales were kind of boring, but the Humpbacks had it going on. Unfortunately, David did not have a very good experience. During much of our Humpback watching he was in the bathroom vomiting. He managed to settle his stomach enough for the best part though as right before we headed back to harbor one the humpbacks surfaced maybe thirty feet from the boat gave us one last tail fluke and then dove under the waves.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greg, you got some great pictures plus a great experience. You can scatch this one off your list if it was on in.

Greg said...

Thanks Mom! It was really fun. If could have stayed on a boat watching them all day and taking pictures I would have.
I'm a little unhappy with the picture quality of the picture CD, but not much I can do about that.

Heather said...

Awesome. Your next big investment should be a new digital camera.