Friday, February 13, 2009

An Evening with Netflix

On Monday night I came to the realization that I can only watch every season of "The Office" and "Family Guy" so many times before they are merely background noise while I waste away my life chatting in front of my computer, so I signed up for Netflix; trade one idiot box for another right? I had been meaning to sign up for awhile now and finally made the plunge. I haven't bought any new movies to watch lately; what? the economy is bad and my mom taught me to be very financially responsible, so my home movie experience was quite bland and predictable.

I opted for the option where I get 3 movies at a time with an unlimited number of movies a month. What can I say I'm loser with few friends, so I spend nights and weekends at home amusing myself. On the plus side though, this will give me a great opportunity to have more consistent blog entries. I got my first three movies in the mail on Wednesday.

Tonight's feature was "Into the Wild" starring Emile Hirsch and directed by Sean Penn. This is the first movie since middle school that I actually read the book before I watched the movie. The book was great and I felt a connection with Christopher J. McCandless and what he was searching for and what he did. Although, I don't think I could live as a drifter. I have too much of an obsession with showering for that to happen, so no need to worry Mom. I would though love to camp and live in Alaska one day. Just the idea of waking up with breath taking views of the Yukon would be a life worth living. Kayaking down the Colorado river would be pretty awesome too. The only issue for me would be that I don't want to experience these things alone. I want to find someone to share them with. This was a lesson that Christopher learned the hard way.

Sean Penn did an amazing job with this story and with this film. He's come a long way since his days with Madonna. Each actor and actress played their role extremely well and the cinematography was amazing.

Movies to come:
"The Visitor", "Lars and the Real Girl", "Once", "Blindsight", and "Michael Clayton"

No comments: