Monday, August 11, 2008

Arts and Lectures Series

Ok first I apologize for it taking me so long to post on this one, but hey I've busy as hell, so lay off me. Last week my co-worker Nina, David, and myself went to Campbell Hall to see "Up the Yangtze". I went in with some high expectations of what I thought this film was going to be like. I was a little disappointed to be completely honest. The documentary was about China completing the Three Gorges Dam and how it was going to affect the lives of those who live by the massive river.

The documentary focuses on the plight of one family that is forced to exploit their daughter to be able to live after the Three Gorges Dam is completed. Their daughter goes to work on a river boat that tours the Yangtze washing dishes. One of the sound bites that really stuck with me is how some families in China live on two dollars a day. Unfortunately the narrator always seemed to talk at some of the most awkward times that it made the underlying story disjointed at times. Overall the film was interesting, insightful, and had some very moving images.

No comments: