Monday, April 14, 2008

I felt the Earth Move...

Here I am just sitting in my apartment watching some Best week ever podcasts when I click over to the Yahoo homepage and right there staring me in the face is this headline "Big Quake Forecast for Calif.". Here's a link to the story.

Before I could even click to read the story; bam!, my apartment lurched and the sound from the window was similar to that of when a door is slammed shut. I cruised myself over to the United States Geological Survey to scope out the incident report. I just felt a magnitude 3.2 earthquake with an epicenter located 2 miles southeast of downtown Santa Barbara. Back in the fall I had my first earthquake experience. It wasn't anything too major possibly a high 2. something quake that just rattled the window. At first I had no clue what was going on. I thought maybe it was a gun shot or something. In both instances it was over before I knew what had happened, but my apartment definitely moved tonight!

The USGS website is actually pretty cool. They have an interactive map where every earthquake in the United States is displayed as well as the world. Click here for the link to the USGS website.

That site will be able to tell you where the earthquake happened when California separates from the mainland!

No comments: