Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Out to the Movies: Under the Same Moon

On Sunday David and I decided to go to the movies. The choices were "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" or "Under the Same Moon". I elected for the latter. I credit David with expanding my taste in movies. I used to go for all the comedy, action, and adventure movies, but I've come to realize that I actually and totally enjoy movies that are more "artsy". I've come to like foreign films with subtitles, and movies that are a little off the radar. This is one of those movies.

In the words of David "It was cute." David is right it is a very cute movie. The movie revolves around the relationship between a mother and her son that are separated by the US-Mexico border and the little boy's(Carlitos) struggle to reunite with his mother (Rosario) in America. This movie brings to light some complicated issues as we follow Carlitos in his journey like illegal immigrants and the dangers of crossing the border. I enjoyed the movie even if it had a storybook ending, but that's exactly what I was hoping for the entire movie, and I wasn't sure it was going to happen till the end. This movie might not appeal to everyone but I definitely think it is worth the ticket price.

No comments: