Sunday, November 18, 2007

Reading Corner

In my continuing development of a reading hobby I just finished reading "Into the Wild" by John Krakauer. Here's the premise: "In April 1992 a young man from a well-to -do family hitchhiked to Alaska and walked alone into the wilderness north of Mt. McKinley. His name was Christopher Johnson McCandless. He had given $25,000 in his savings to charity, abandoned his car and most of his possessions, burned all the cash in his wallet, and invented a new life for himself...." I will not go any further than that as to not ruin the book for any of those who may choose to read it or go to see the movie. I found a fairly strong connection with this book and Christopher McCandless. Like him I have always fantasized about the wilds of Alaska. It is a place I have always wanted to visit and take in it's epic beauty. In the back of my mind I have always had this vision of owning a cabin far from civilization and a simpler life. Although I might not agree with all the decisions that McCandless made to embark on this odyssey I do envy and admire his grit and determination to do what he did.


Next up is "The Hiding Place" by Corrie Ten Boom

4 comments:

Oberon said...

.....i lived in santa barbara.....i like you blog title.....could've been the title of my blog.....lol.

Heather said...

The Gregory Waltner Story: A young man from Ohio, with only an air mattress, tames the wilds of Alaska.

I think you have something there Greg.

Greg said...

I couldn't agree more Heather! Though as I'm sure we all remember; I do have a habit of getting lost in the woods!

Anonymous said...

You will need a little more than
an air mattress. How about a map,
lots of warm clothes, and a how to
tame the wildlife.(Mt.lions and bear, ho my!!)