Sunday, December 30, 2007

All Planes lead through Seattle... sort of

It's funny how some days you just know that it's not going to be a great day from the moment you step out of bed, and today was one of those days. This morning started with a flurry when thirty seconds after my alarm went off I got a text message stating that our flight had been cancelled and that they were working on alternative routes to get us from Spokane back to Santa Barbara. A couple minutes after that came the phone call that our flight had not been cancelled but moved up by half an hour and that I had twenty-five minutes to get downstairs and on the bus.

After a short ride to the airport we got checked in where we found out that all of us were flying to Seattle first and then some of us were flying to Portland, a couple to San Francisco, and a couple to LAX before making it back to Santa Barbara. I myself was on a flight departing Spokane an hour later than the rest of the team and then catching up with the majority of them in Portland for our original flight back to Santa Barbara. Once all of us got through security we ended up finding out that there was a flight at 9:35 going to Portland, so the coaches found a way to get us all on this flight, so we could all enjoy a two and a half hour layover in Portland. Unfortunately, I don't think our bags made the same flight change.

Once in Portland we all went our separate ways for lunch. The guys had a hard time resisting the urge and call of the Nike store on the other side of the security check point. I opted to go to Wendy's for lunch and ended up waiting for 10 minutes for some good ole chicken nuggets to be cooked and ready for consumption, and even though they were delicious I was slightly annoyed with the wait time, a small complimentary frosty would have been a nice gesture, but no it wasn't meant to be.

Once on the ground in Santa Barbara I was looking forward to just getting my bags, driving home and just laying on the couch and relaxing. Once again, it just wasn't meant to be as my baggage apparently decided to stay in Seattle or Portland for the night. I can't decide if I'm angry because my bags didn't make it to Santa Barbara or jealous because they got to spend more time in the Pacific Northwest and I didn't!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your luggage Greg, but if your luggage could talk what would they have to say. Would it be nice or bad things its just a silly thought. Hopfully you get your luggage today. Happy New Years.

Greg said...

That's a good question Mom. I'm not sure what my luggage would say if they could talk. I guess their mood would be determined by how well they were handled and their feelings about me. Maybe my luggage doesn't like my packing technique and are glad to have some time away from me, or maybe their scared being around strange luggage that they don't know. There's really no way of telling.