Sunday, March 22, 2009

Holy Sunday Batman!

Oh geez, what a day! Well, for all of you who have been following March Madness you have probably noticed that UCSB did not make it to the men's bracket. That means that my life now revolves around women's tennis. Yay! So I had a match to cover today that began with me getting up at 6:45am this morning for a match that was to begin at 10am. I woke up to the sound of a heavy rain shower that had pretty much soaked everything, always a great beginning to a match day. I got to the office around 7:45 and began the waiting game. When I had not seen any of my athletes by 8:30 I took a stroll to the courts to see if anyone was out there. Luckily or unluckily It had stopped raining by the time I left my apartment.

As I walked I did not see much life around the courts so my mind began racing with thoughts of; yep the match is cancelled and no one told me, go figure, maybe I can catch David for some breakfast. When I made it to the courts there was the coach vigorously trying to dry the courts. As it turned out the match would be delayed till around noon. So much for those thoughts of a nice Sunday breakfast. It didn't help that I was hungry because I decided to just go for a glass of Orange Juice this morning, yeah I know what an idiot.

Long story short, the match began at 11:30 and lasted till 4:30. We won the doubles point and then proceeded to have three singles matches go into third sets. Add on top of that the fact that the deciding match went to a third set tie-breaker and you have a tennis match that lasted longer than a 9 inning baseball game that started at 2pm and an entire Men's tennis match that started 2 and a half hours after ours. I was outside for five hours with a consistent 20 mph wind striking me in the face. Needless to say it was a miserable day to be watching tennis, yet alone playing. I have the wind burn to prove it!

Here's hoping tomorrow's match is a little shorter!
Gaucho's won 4-3.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope today's game went better for you. Tennis is always a hard one to watch since you can get torticollis watching the ball go back and forth so many times.
It was great talking with you. Catch up with you next month.

Greg said...

Oh today's was a doozie of a match as well. 2 matches went to third sets. and two others went to third set super tie-breakers after the match had been decided. We lost 4-3. No more tennis matches till Saturday.

Woohoo day off tomorrow!